Disclaimer: This is not the healthiest of recipes and no I don’t know the calorie content, but if your looking for a quick and yummy family favorite then give this ultimate comfort food a try!
Ok so it is no lie that I absolutely loathe cooking. I put it right up there with scrubbing the bottom of the toilet, you know where it screws into the floor, yep that’s how much I hate it. It also doesn’t help that I’m absolutely terrible at cooking so much that my husband and I have several inside jokes about meals I’ve made in the past, one we even nicknamed “colon blow.” But unfortunately I have to cook because well, we have to eat and take out every day for five people is unrealistic. This chicken casserole is EASY and practically fail proof for us terrible cooks, and it’s budget friendly. Win! Serve it with mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn bread for a great family meal or add veggies to the casserole for an easy one dish dinner. It also makes a great potluck dish!
Family Favorite Chicken Casserole
- Store bought rotisserie chicken – skin removed – chicken shredded- about 2 cups
- 2 cans cream of chicken (we prefer Campbell’s brand)
- 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers crushed (store brand is fine)
- 4 tbs of butter- melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Drained canned veggies such as peas, green beans, carrots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine chicken and both cans of the cream of chicken until mixed add salt and pepper to taste. (Add optional veggies to mixture and a splash of milk if too thick) Transfer to a 13×9 dish. Add the crushed crackers on top of the chicken mixture, drizzle melted butter over crackers. I usually salt and pepper the top, but you don’t have to, we season well at this house. Bake for 30 minutes uncovered. If top begins to brown to quickly loosely cover with aluminum foil. Serves six.